Election `97: Northern Ireland's Estonian a favourite in Wales

Lembit Opik, Montgomeryshire's Liberal Democrat candidate, has one of the most intriguing CVs of any election hopeful. He was born in Bangor, Northern Ireland, to Estonian parents who fled from the Communists who took over their country in 1945.

A philosophy degree at Bristol University followed. Then Mr Opik headed for the North-east to join Proctor & Gamble, where he rose swiftly to become the detergent giant's global personnel training manager - a lengthy job description which he hopes to exchange for the letters MP on 1 May.

"You can't grow up in a family so affected by politics as mine without wanting to right wrong," he says.

He won the nomination against stiff opposition last September when Alex Carlile announced he would stand down after 14 years at Westminster. Except for a blip in 1979, when the Tories unexpectedly captured the seat, Montgomeryshire has been Liberal territory for more than a century.

Mr Carlile leaves behind a majority of more than 5,000 over the Tories, sufficient, it seems, to see Mr Opik home. But no chances are being taken. "Paddy's been here twice and David [Sir David Steel] once," the energetic Mr Opik said as he strode round Tan Yr Allt, a 1960s estate contrasting sharply with the timber-framed black-and-white houses that dot Llanidloes.

The Rev Penny Burkill, who looks after half a dozen Methodist congregations, was impressed: "He's the sort of person who will represent us well - he's very sincere," she said.

Back in town, Mr Opik expanded on one of his favourite pastimes - motorcycling. He bumped into Simon Evans, about to ride off on a gleaming 750cc machine to his job as a computer operator in Newtown, 10 miles away. "I own two," Mr Opik remarked modestly, as a discussion on stopping distances and fuel consumption got under way. Transport is a problem for Owen Jarman, a 72-year-old retired farmer visiting Llanidloes from his remote mountain home. "We have a post bus and let's hope the Post Office isn't privatised," he said. Mr Opik nodded vigorously.

Trays of meats ranging from prime steak to pig's liver are displayed at Edward Hamer's shop, underlining Mid-Wales's dependence on pastoral farming.

BSE is much talked about. The Tory candidate, a farmer, Glyn Davies, has had six cases in his herd. "I well understand how much of a shock BSE has been," he says. The latest European Union rebuff to Britain is not exactly helpful to the Tory cause.

Labour, third in 1992, is fielding Angharad Davies, a 25-year-old political researcher regarded as a rising star.

Helen Jones, of Plaid Cymru, the Green Party's Sue Walker, and John Bufton, of the Referendum Party are striving to make an impact but without much success.

Mr Opik is refreshingly open. "I have a 70 per cent chance of winning, the Tories a 30 per cent chance," he says. A man of many parts, he claims to have loved flying ever since falling out of a tree when he was seven. He holds a pilot's licence, paraglides and is an amateur astronomer.

Vote of confidence: Lembit Opik, campaigning in Montgomeryshire, hopes for an easy win in this traditionally Liberal seat, but is taking nothing for granted

Photograph: John Voos

News
Susan Sarandon described David Bowie as
peopleSusan Sarandon reveals more on her David Bowie romance
Sport
Arsenal supporters gather for a recent ‘fan party’ in New Jersey
football
Sport
sportDidier Drogba returns to Chelsea on one-year deal
Arts and Entertainment
The Secret Cinema performance of Back to the Future has been cancelled again
film
PROMOTED VIDEO
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
News
ebookA unique anthology of reporting and analysis of a crucial period of history
Life and Style
Balmain's autumn/winter 2014 campaign, shot by Mario Sorrenti and featuring Binx Walton, Cara Delevingne, Jourdan Dunn, Ysaunny Brito, Issa Lish and Kayla Scott
fashionHow Olivier Rousteing is revitalising the house of Balmain
News
people
Arts and Entertainment
Christian Grey cradles Ana in the Fifty Shades of Grey film
filmFifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage in US
News
BBC broadcaster and presenter Evan Davis, who will be taking over from Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight
peopleForget Paxman - what will Evan Davis be like on Newsnight?
Life and Style
fashionCustomer complained about the visibly protruding ribs
Voices
The new dawn heralded by George Osborne has yet to rise
voicesJames Moore: As the Tories rub their hands together, the average voter will be asking why they're not getting a piece of the action
Sport
Dejan Lovren celebrates scoring for Southampton although the goal was later credited to Adam Lallana
sport
News
newsComedy club forced to apologise as maggots eating a dead pigeon fall out of air-conditioning
Arts and Entertainment
Jo Brand says she's mellowed a lot
tvJo Brand says shows encourage people to laugh at the vulnerable
Life and Style
People may feel that they're procrastinating by watching TV in the evening
life
Independent
Travel Shop
the manor
Up to 70% off luxury travel
on city breaks Find out more
santorini
Up to 70% off luxury travel
on chic beach resorts Find out more
sardina foodie
Up to 70% off luxury travel
on country retreats Find out more
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating
and  

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs General

Senior Risk Manager - Banking - London - £650

£600 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Conduct Risk Liaison Manager - Banking - London -...

Commercial Litigation Associate

Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: CITY - COMMERCIAL LITIGATION - GLOBAL...

Systems Manager - Dynamics AX

£65000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: The client is a...

Service Delivery Manager (Software Development, Testing)

£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A well-established software house ba...

Day In a Page

Evan Davis: The BBC’s wolf in sheep’s clothing to take over at Newsnight

The BBC’s wolf in sheep’s clothing

What will Evan Davis be like on Newsnight?
Finding the names for America’s shame: What happens to the immigrants crossing the US-Mexico border without documents who never make it past the Arizona desert?

Finding the names for America’s shame

The immigrants crossing the US-Mexico border without documents who never make it past the Arizona desert
Inside a church for Born Again Christians: Speaking to God in a Manchester multiplex

Inside a church for Born Again Christians

As Britain's Anglican church struggles to establish its modern identity, one branch of Christianity is booming
Rihanna, Kim Kardashian and me: How Olivier Rousteing is revitalising the house of Balmain

Olivier Rousteing is revitalising the house of Balmain

Parisian couturier Pierre Balmain made his name dressing the mid-century jet set. Today, Olivier Rousteing – heir to the house Pierre built – is celebrating their 21st-century equivalents. The result? Nothing short of Balmania
Cancer, cardiac arrest, HIV and homelessness - and he's only 39

Incredible survival story of David Tovey

Tovey went from cooking for the Queen to rifling through bins for his supper. His is a startling story of endurance against the odds – and of a social safety net failing at every turn
Backhanders, bribery and abuses of power have soared in China as economy surges

Bribery and abuses of power soar in China

The bribery is fuelled by the surge in China's economy but the rules of corruption are subtle and unspoken, finds Evan Osnos, as he learns the dark arts from a master
Commonwealth Games 2014: Highland terriers stole the show at the opening ceremony

Highland terriers steal the show at opening ceremony

Gillian Orr explores why a dog loved by film stars and presidents is finally having its day
German art world rocked as artists use renowned fat sculpture to distil schnapps

Brewing the fat from artwork angers widow of sculptor

Part of Joseph Beuys' 1982 sculpture 'Fettecke' used to distil schnapps
BBC's The Secret History of Our Streets reveals a fascinating window into Britain's past

BBC takes viewers back down memory lane

The Secret History of Our Streets, which returns with three films looking at Scottish streets, is the inverse of Benefits Street - delivering warmth instead of cynicism
Joe, film review: Nicolas Cage delivers an astonishing performance in low budget drama

Nicolas Cage shines in low-budget drama Joe

Cage plays an ex-con in David Gordon Green's independent drama, which has been adapted from a novel by Larry Brown
How to make your own gourmet ice lollies, granitas, slushy cocktails and frozen yoghurt

Make your own ice lollies and frozen yoghurt

Think outside the cool box for this summer's tempting frozen treats
Ford Fiesta is UK's most popular car of all-time, with sales topping 4.1 million since 1976

Fiesta is UK's most popular car of all-time

Sales have topped 4.1 million since 1976. To celebrate this milestone, four Independent writers recall their Fiestas with pride
10 best reed diffusers

Heaven scent: 10 best reed diffusers

Keep your rooms smelling summery and fresh with one of these subtle but distinctive home fragrances that’ll last you months
Commonwealth Games 2014: Female boxers set to compete for first time

Female boxers set to compete at Commonwealth Games for first time

There’s no favourites and with no headguards anything could happen
Five things we’ve learned so far about Manchester United under Louis van Gaal

Five things we’ve learned so far about United under Van Gaal

It’s impossible to avoid the impression that the Dutch manager is playing to the gallery a little