Fashions at bottom of garden
Friday 24 September 1999
This season, Paul Smith's Women travelled to all four corners of the globe for inspiration. Crisp white linen trouser suits, lined in lime green, were followed by safari jackets worn with the tiniest of hot pants. Even schoolboy blazers were teamed with itsy-bitsy, paisley print bikinis. For evening, a more exotic look came to the fore. Jewel-coloured sarong skirts, heavily embroidered, were worn with masculine jackets.
The mood was sweetly optimistic, and Smith has every reason to be in good spirits, considering that he is Britain's most financially successful designer - his annual turnover now exceeds pounds 140 million. Proof, if any was needed, that his idiosyncratic style is a winning formula.
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
- 3 Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
£30000 - £33000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior DBA (SQ...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: Business Anal...
£60000 - £90000 per annum + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Global leading Energy Tra...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: CXL, Triple Po...