Five more die in Alpine accidents
Saturday 13 February 1999
The skiers were off trail when the avalanches struck at Les Arcs ski station in the Savoie region and at the nearby Val d'Isere resort, police said.
Foreign Office officials named the British victim as Catherine Ovington, 26, from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. French police named one of the other victims as Anthony Thorburn, a 26-year-old Australian.
Miss Ovington was rushed to hospital in Grenoble after being found unconscious in a metre of snow at Val d'Isere. She died shortly after arrival.
She is the sixth Briton to have died in accidents and natural disasters in the French and Swiss Alps in recent weeks.
The other fatalities were three Frenchmen killed in an off-piste accident in Les Arcs.
Meanwhile, the body of a teenage youth, the 12th victim of Tuesday's avalanche near Chamonix, was also found.
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Required skills include SQL querying, SSRS, u...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: C#.Net Developer - C#, ASP.Net, HTML...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...