Five more die in Alpine accidents
Saturday 13 February 1999
The skiers were off trail when the avalanches struck at Les Arcs ski station in the Savoie region and at the nearby Val d'Isere resort, police said.
Foreign Office officials named the British victim as Catherine Ovington, 26, from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. French police named one of the other victims as Anthony Thorburn, a 26-year-old Australian.
Miss Ovington was rushed to hospital in Grenoble after being found unconscious in a metre of snow at Val d'Isere. She died shortly after arrival.
She is the sixth Briton to have died in accidents and natural disasters in the French and Swiss Alps in recent weeks.
The other fatalities were three Frenchmen killed in an off-piste accident in Les Arcs.
Meanwhile, the body of a teenage youth, the 12th victim of Tuesday's avalanche near Chamonix, was also found.
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
'Jihadi John': Isis executioner Mohammed Emwazi wanted to wage jihad in Somalia until his friends were betrayed and killed by al-Shabaab
Parma, Missouri: 80 per cent of town's police quit after first black mayor is elected
Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing company in Belvedere ...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + Uncapped Commission: SThree: Sthree are looking fo...
£24000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking to work in a sm...
£26000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...