Flat Earth: Highly decorated
Sunday 31 January 1999
Our man in Kosovo, fed up with climbing the stairs to the 11th floor because the lifts were broken, asked to move to a lower floor. Certainly, sir, he was told - we have some newly refurbished rooms on the fifth floor, several of which even have a phone. Taking care to supply the missing lightbulb and bath plug from his old room, he was soon happily ensconced.
You might think that one of the worst aspects of reporting from a war zone would be the bullets. In reality, it seems that it's the decorators who can drive you over the edge. Our correspondent returned to his room one morning last week to find two men painting it. They merrily splashed his possessions and the newly-installed furniture and fittings with white paint - and seemed quite startled by the fact that the for
eigner inexplicably lost his cool.
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...