Floods kill 81 in Somalia
Friday 12 December 1997
More than 230,000 people have been displaced and almost 30,000 livestock are reported killed, according to a statement by the Nairobi-based Somalia Aid Co-ordination Body (SACB).
Aid officials, who collate daily casualty figures, say flood-related diseases such as malaria account for an increasing number of the 1,695 deaths.
- Reuters, Nairobi
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.