Galleries welcome museum ruling on admission fees
Monday 08 December 1997
The threat of the introduction of pounds 5-a-head charge to cope with the shortfalls in the museum's budget had prompted fears of a domino effect in other institutions, according to Timothy Mason, director of the Museums and Galleries Commission. "If the trustees had succumbed it would have made it very difficult for curators to argue with local authorities that the tradition of public access is of paramount importance," he said yesterday.
In a meeting at the weekend the British Museum's trustees decided they would look at alternative ways of coping with the predicted deficit of pounds 3.9m for 1998-1999 including increasing rates for loans and exhibitions, attracting more voluntary donations and making internal economies. However, their hopes are pinned on the Department of Culture, which has carried out a spending review and is due to make an announcement on Wednesday.
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Dig...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Car, Medical, Fuel + More!: Progressive Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: An absolutely o...