Gas death landlord escapes jail

Click to follow
The Independent Online
A landlord was yesterday given an 18-month suspended sentence after admitting the manslaughter of a tenant who died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty gas fire.Thomas Beedie, of Cottingham, Hull, admitted killing Tracey Murphy, 19, found dead in her flat in Pearson Park, Hull, in 1993. He changed his plea on Friday after more than two days of legal argument in Sheffield Crown Court.

In 1994 the Health and Safety Executive prosecuted Beedie, who was convicted of failing to maintain the fire in Ms Murphy's room and he and his wife were each fined pounds 1,500. In July 1994 he was prosecuted by Hull City Council and found guilty of 15 offences under the Housing Regulations Act. He received a two-year conditional discharge.

At the inquest on Ms Murphy in September 1994, a jury ruled she had been unlawfully killed.

Comments