Go back, Straw tells Kosovo asylum-seekers
Tuesday 14 September 1999
He said special treatment for Kosovo Albanians was to be ended and the refugees already in Britain would be encouraged to return home.
Under emergency provisions introduced when war flared in the region earlier this year, Kosovo Albanians coming to the UK were automatically granted one year's exceptional leave to remain.
Now every application would be considered on its merits, as with other nationalities. The Home Office officials said they "anticipated" that most would be rejected. Special provisions allowing relatives of people who had sought sanctuary here to join them in Britain were also being ended.
At the same time Mr Straw stepped up efforts to encourage refugees remaining in this country to return. A new provision will allow heads of households to visit Kosovo to investigate the local position was and to check what remains of their home and possessions in preparation for their family's return. They would be allowed to come back to Britain, but only within their one-year time limit. The flights will be paid for by the Government.
So far, 809 of the 4,346 Kosovo Albanians who came to the United Kingdom under the United Nations High Commission for Refugees' evacuation programme and 55 who made their own way here have used a voluntary repatriation scheme to go home.
A further 1,000 asylum- seekers claiming to come from Kosovo arrived under their own steam in July. Figures are not yet available for last month.
Mr Straw said the "explore and prepare" visits were being offered in other European countries. He added: "Ethnic Albanians are now generally safe from persecution in Kosovo and this is reflected in the new guidance to immigration officers which comes into force today.
"But we recognise the genuine concern many families have about their own par- ticular circumstances in Kosovo and what they will be returning to."
All Kosovo Albanians granted one year's leave to remain were allowed to apply for refugee status as well. The Home Office said all asylum applications from citizens of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, which were put on hold in early June, would now be reactivated.
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Mia Khalifa: Pornhub star claims Drake sent her 'cringeworthy' naked photos on Instagram
Boris Johnson claims porn-obsessed Islamic jihadists are 'literally w*****s'
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Putin opponent reveals Russian President's daughter's secret identity
Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: CITY - HIGHEST QUALITY INTERNATIONAL FIRM - A...
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: CITY - EXCELLENT FIRM - We have an outstandin...
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: IN-HOUSE - NATIONAL CHARITY - An exciting and...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: EXETER - A great new opportunity with real pot...