Greens' leader visits London
Wednesday 28 October 1998
The 50-year-old former revolutionary, sworn in yesterday as Germany's Vice-Chancellor and Foreign Minister, is flying to Paris, London and Warsaw in an effort to reassure Germany's closest European friends of "continuity".
He is due to arrive in London tonight for dinner with Robin Cook, Foreign Secretary, and will have a round of formal talks with him tomorrow. Language should be no barrier. Mr Fischer speaks good, if slightly rusty, English.
While Downing Street was delighted with the Social Democrats' victory in last month's elections, its reaction to the Greens entering government for the first time was muted.Suspicions linger about Mr Fischer's "anti- imperialist" past.
On Monday the Social Democrat leader, Gerhard Schroder, formally elected Chancellor by the Bundestag yesterday, will travel to London to explain what he means by his promised "new beginning". He obtained a surprisingly strong endorsement in parliament, with seven opposition MPs voting for him as Chancellor.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for the murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# ASP.NET Developer (...
£60000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior C# WPF .NET Dev...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: QA Manual Tester FX Trading Platform/Derivative...