Head and hand set world record
Saturday 14 December 1996
Study for the Head and Hand of an Apostle was bought on the telephone for pounds 5,281,500 by an anonymous private collector, a world record for an Old Master drawing.
It had also set a world record for an Old Master drawing 12 years ago, when it was sold by the Duke of Devonshire for pounds 3.5m. A spokeswoman for the auctioneers, Christie's, in London, said it was a magnificent price for a magnificent drawing.
It was so valuable that experts refused to make public their estimate of the likely sale price, and they continued to refuse to do so after the sale.
The study is an auxiliary cartoon of St John the Evangelist, which was later transformed by Raphael in The Transfiguration, the outstanding masterpiece of his later years left unfinished by his death in 1520.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Managers are required to join the UK's...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will maximise the effective...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission : SThree: Hello! I know most ...