Hunt for death-crash driver who fled in patrol car
Monday 03 November 1997
The accident happened as a police car followed a Ford Fiesta XR2 which was doing more than 70mph in a 30mph area of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, early yesterday, police said. As the Fiesta approached the set of red lights the driver accelerated past a queue of stationary traffic and crashed into the side of a Peugeot 406 driven by Peter Walpole, 60, who died shortly afterwards in Barnsley hospital.
The injured driver of the Fiesta was put in the back of the police car while the officer attempted to help Mr Walpole, but he commandeered the vehicle and drove off, hitting the officer as he tried to intervene. Police believe they know the identity of the driver and were last night attempting to trace him. The police car was found abandoned 15 miles from the crash scene.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
N Korea confirms removal of Kim Jong-un’s 'depraved' uncle Jang Song Thaek
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£65000 - £80000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading prov...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Teacher of English - U...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A leading pr...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Market Data An...