Hunt is on for new English gold mine
Tuesday 03 March 1998
Five 100-metre-deep holes will be sunk by Crediton Minerals in the mid Devon countryside at 150-metre intervals from the original borehole drilled last August.
The drilling will take place over a three-week period after initial assay results from the first hole which showed "four distinct horizons of gold enrichment within the core".
"Following intense mineralogical and chemical follow up of the gold occurrence in the first bore hole, Crediton is satisfied that it is fully justified on continuing the exploration to confirm the presence of gold over a wider area," said a spokesman for the company.
While the drilling goes on, other exploration work will be carried out at a number of other sites.
Grains of gold were discovered during last summer's pounds 200,000 test drilling programme in a 45 kilometre-long, 12 kilometre-wide band of agricultural land called the Crediton Trough.
It could be two or three years from the original drilling before the company could be certain it had an "economic ore body".
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...