I'll be back soon, Sir Elton vows after emergency heart surgery

Click to follow
The Independent Online
SIR ELTON JOHN was at his mansion on the French Riviera yesterday, recovering from emergency heart surgery.

The pop star had a pacemaker fitted at Wellington Hospital, London, and left hours later, on Friday.

Sir Elton, who was playing tennis when he received the results of tests showing he needed the surgery, said he had been feeling unwell for some time but initially believed he was suffering from vertigo caused by a viral ear infection.

He first received treatment at a hospital in Nice after collapsing while boarding the plane to attend the wedding of David Beckham and Victoria Adams.

As Sir Elton, 52, began a two-month convalescence, he apologised to fans for having to postpone a series of outdoor concerts in Britain which had been due to start tonight.

The singer, who was wearing a baseball cap, Nike casual jacket and trainers, when he left hospital, said he would return to full health, and his hectic tour schedule, by the end of August.

"It came as a bit of a shock but the operation was a simple procedure," he said. "The only thing I really regret is cancelling my shows. I will resume a normal lifestyle after a couple of months' rest. Life will get back to normal."

Comments