`I'm Mavis, how can I help you?'
She can handle 56 calls at once, in up to seven languages. Furthermore, as the makers note, she will work without demanding a holiday, or even a lunch break, or even time to sleep.
Mavis - which stands for Multi Language Automated Voice Independent System - is not a person; it is a piece of software that runs on a standard PC. It works by recognising words from a caller's voice and matching them to a database of names and departments within a company. Ask for "John Smith" and the computer will find that person's extension and put you through; it can even be programmed to ask you first for your name, which it will repeat to Mr Smith.
Mavis was developed by PTT, a subsidiary of the US company Carnegie International, and is being marketed in the UK by Graham Burrough."Mavis can do all the things that a receptionist can, apart from make the coffee," said Mr Burrough. "The voice quality means most people calling won't realise it's a machine."
Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
World news in pictures
Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
Oklahoma tornado latest: Obama pledges support for 'as long as it takes' to rebuild the suburb of Moore
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Salary Package - £60K to £120K: Austen Lloyd: We have an exciting op...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer - Urgent Requirem...
£70000 - £95000 per annum + Bonus, flexible working hours, remote work: Progre...
£50000 - £56000 per annum + Benefits package, flexible working hours: Progress...