Independent competition rules
Applicable until further notice
Wednesday 01 November 2006
The following rules are applicable to all competitions, promotions and offers conducted by or on behalf of Independent Print Limited (referred to here as IPL). These rules will be deemed incorporated in each competition or promotion except to the extent that any instruction in an individual competition or promotion provides otherwise.
These rules, which may be amended from time to time, and any such specific instructions, shall be binding on all entrants.
1. All competitions are open to UK residents aged 18 or over unless any other age restriction is specified. Employees of IPL, the promoters and any company involved in the competition, and agents and members of the immediate family of the above people will not be eligible to participate.
2. All entries must be legible, written in ink or ballpoint pen and made on the official form, if there is one, or, if appropriate, made on the official page on the website. They must be clearly marked with the entrant's name, full address, email address and telephone number. Any illegible, mutilated, altered or corrupted entry will be disqualified.
2.1 Entries must be made in accordance with the competition instructions. They are invalid if they are received any later than the specified closing time (which shall be London date and time).
2.2 Only one entry per entrant (or household if so specified) will be permitted.
2.3 In the case of token collect or voucher promotions, only originals are valid. No tokens or vouchers are redeemable for cash. The provisions of Rule 11 apply to such promotions unless expressly excluded.
2.4 All questions must be answered and all other entry requirements fulfilled.
2.5 Proof of submission or of posting of a form will not constitute proof of delivery and no responsibility will be accepted for lost, corrupted, delayed or mislaid entries.
3. In the event of the closing date being extended, which the Judges may do in their absolute discretion, there will be an announcement of any such extension at the first reasonable opportunity.
4. The winner will be chosen in accordance with the competition instructions, and will either be the first correct entry drawn from the total entries or all entries will be examined and the prize will be awarded to the entry that the Judges (who, unless provided otherwise in the competition specific instructions shall be the Editor of The Independent or his nominated representative) consider to be the best.
4.1 Other prizes will be awarded in accordance with the order of priority as stated in the individual competition.
4.2 At their discretion the Judges shall have the right to invoke a tie-breaker.
4.3 No correspondence will be entered into. The decision of the Judges shall be final and unchallengable and in their absolute discretion they may declare void any entry or the competition itself should they consider that there are no entries reaching a required standard, whereupon they can award prizes or not, as they think fit. Judges may also decide, in their absolute discretion, to change the rules of a competition while it is running if it appears to them that it would be equitable or desirable to do so.
5. IPL reserves the right to publish the names of the winners and runners-up and the winning entries.
6. All entries, however submitted shall become the property of IPL and will not be returned. The winners (including runners-up) are deemed to have assigned all intellectual property rights of their winning entries to IPL and to have waived their moral rights.
7. There will be no cash or other alternative to the prize offered and prizes are not transferable.
8. Where applicable, prize winners will be responsible for organising valid passport(s) and for securing any necessary visas. They are also strongly advised to take out adequate insurance and health advice. Dates and destinations are subject to availability.
9. IPL will not be liable for any circumstances beyond its reasonable control that prevent a prize being taken up by a winner. IPL excludes liability to the extent permitted by law for any cost, claims or losses howsoever caused that arise by reason of any person's entry into a competition or the award to them of a prize.
10. By entering the competition/promotion entrants are agreeing to abide by these rules and any conditions set out in the competition instructions.
11. In any competition where there are only a limited number of prizes so that not every entry can win some prize, it is hereby provided that no purchase, of the newspaper or otherwise, is necessary for entry, except where there is a tie-breaker stage which includes a significant element of skill, or where competition instructions clearly specify otherwise.
12. Data Protection - Entrants may be asked to indicate their wish, by ticking or checking a box provided in the competition instructions or otherwise, to receive communications with information or carefully selected commercial opportunities from IPL or agents on their behalf. If they agree, IPL will hold their personal details on its own or a duty authorised agent's registered database. Entrants also given their consent that from time to time other carefully selected organisations may be licensed by IPL to use that data.
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 Chaos breaks out in courtroom as father attacks killer of three-year-old daughter
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: Are Tesco, Asda and other supermarkets open today?
The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
Isis releases graphic video showing four Shia 'spies' being burned alive in Anbar, Iraq
Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This award-winning company, whi...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique & exciting opp...
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will be working with a 8 st...
£8000 - £12000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A unique opportunity has arisen ...