Jackson holds top spot of the year
Tuesday 26 December 1995
spot of the year
Mike Flowers narrowly failed to become the least likely recipient of the pop charts' Christmas No 1 slot when Michael Jackson held the top spot with his "Earth Song".
The 35-year-old former busker and his group looked likely to top the festive charts with the easy-listening rendition of Oasis's ballad "Wonderwall". But Jackson managed to hang on for the third week.
The Mike Flowers Pops record sold more than 10,000 copies in its first two days of release at HMV stores alone, and entered the charts at number two. Jackson, the odds-on favourite at 4-7, made the bookmakers William Hill a small profit. They stood to lose around pounds 125,000 if Mike Flowers Pops reached No 1.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Science Teacher (mater...
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for an ...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: A West Yorkshire School i...