Jackson holds top spot of the year
Tuesday 26 December 1995
spot of the year
Mike Flowers narrowly failed to become the least likely recipient of the pop charts' Christmas No 1 slot when Michael Jackson held the top spot with his "Earth Song".
The 35-year-old former busker and his group looked likely to top the festive charts with the easy-listening rendition of Oasis's ballad "Wonderwall". But Jackson managed to hang on for the third week.
The Mike Flowers Pops record sold more than 10,000 copies in its first two days of release at HMV stores alone, and entered the charts at number two. Jackson, the odds-on favourite at 4-7, made the bookmakers William Hill a small profit. They stood to lose around pounds 125,000 if Mike Flowers Pops reached No 1.
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...