Joan Lestor dies, aged 66
Lady Lestor, who was 66, had a long and distinguished career during which she also adopted six children as a single mother. She joined the Labour party 40 years ago, went on to become a councillor and was elected MP for Eton and Slough in 1966.
She served in Harold Wilson's and James Callaghan's governments, finally lost her seat in 1983, but returned as MP for Eccles at the following election in 1987.
The Prime Minister paid a warm tribute as soon as he heard the news yesterday. Tony Blair said: "I am deeply saddened to hear of Joan's death. She was a devoted servant of her former constituents, of her party and of her country.
"She was a politician of deep-seated convictions who fought tirelessly for justice at home and abroad."
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...