Labour Party Conference: Bournemouth Highlights
Thursday 30 September 1999
Derek Hodgson, from the postal workers' union, who persuaded Stephen Byers to cancel his lunch and dinner arrangements in an attempt to find a compromise
John Prescott was ridiculed after he was driven in his official green Jaguar as part of a three-vehicle convoy for the 300-yard journey from his hotel to the conference hall to deliver a speech on improving public transport
REBEL OF THE DAY
Delegates who booed an all-girl jazz band for being from a private school, suggesting the class war is still alive and kicking
SOUNDBITE OF THE DAY
Diane Abbott on Peter Mandelson: "I listen to you. I have spent 20 years in the Labour movement listening to you."
BEST FRINGE MEETING
New Europe meeting, single currency sceptics sought to outflank Europhiles by organising their meeting in the trendy K-bar with wine.
`The Mirror' newspaper set new standards by having Boy George with Culture Club playing at its bash
John Prescott's ovation was two minutes 40 seconds long and 65 decibels loud.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£35999 - £44001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top Tier practi...
£41000 - £46000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Academically Exce...
£45000 - £70000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Technical Impl...
£65000 - £90000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Rogue Trading ...