Man drowns in Kenya honeymoon tragedy

Click to follow
A British holidaymaker drowned as he swam with his wife on their honeymoon in Kenya.

Mark Anderson, 26, and his wife Lorraine, 23, from Sheffield, were swimming in the Indian Ocean near Mombasa when he slipped under the water and never resurfaced.

Another tourist later spotted his body floating underneath a glass-bottomed boat from where the snorkelling expedition had started.

Mr Anderson's father, the Rev Brian Anderson - a Methodist minister in Harrogate, North Yorkshire - said he believed his son may have suffered heart failure. "It is a mystery because there was a group of people in the sea and no one heard Mark crying out or splashing about. He just disappeared."

"Lorraine was heading back to the boat because she felt there was an undercurrent. She was in front of Mark and swam back thinking he was behind her. She looked round and couldn't see him."

He added: "Any death is a tragedy but for this to happen two weeks after getting married just adds extra poignancy. It is hard to believe.

"Lorraine and Mark have been inseparable since meeting five years ago. They both loved rock music and met in a rock centre in Sheffield before setting up home together.

"Mark wasn't a strong swimmer but had done some snorkelling. He must have felt reasonably confident."

Mrs Anderson returned to England this week, and is staying with her parents in Derbyshire. Her husband's body is being kept in Kenya while further inquiries are carried out. The family are arranging a funeral in Sheffield.

Mr Anderson, a former student at Sheffield University, worked as a housing manager for a project spearheading regeneration programmes in South Yorkshire.

t Earlier this week it was disclosed that two British holidaymakers and a young man had drowned in another holiday tragedy in Kenya. John Stewart dived into a crocodile-infested river in an attempt to rescue his wife, Linda, after she fell in while trying a get a better look at a waterfall in Tsavo national park. Christopher Williams, 18, jumped in to help, and all three are believed to have died.