Claire Beale's Best in Show: Pot Noodle (AKQA)
Monday 17 March 2008
Once it was known as the "slag of all snacks". Now, for the princely sum of £29.95 you can buy a "Poulet et champignon" Pot Noodle in Harrods. All proceeds go to Action Against Hunger. It's the only reason I can possibly think of for eating the stuff. Well, that and a stunning new viral for the brand by AKQA.
And what timing. Last week was rip-off week in adland's corridors of gossip, the perfect climate to dissect the Pot Noodle ad. It's a piss-take of rip-off ads. Does that make it a rip-off too?
Anyway, remember Honda's "cog" ad with all the car parts doing a domino effect (an ad that was itself "inspired" by a piece of film from a couple of Swiss artists).
Then last year Guinness took the domino idea on for the "black stuff". Now Pot Noodle's got its teeth into the whole domino scene to joyous effect.
AKQA's viral is set on a grotty-gritty housing estate and instead of dominos (or car parts or books) it uses fag packets, fridges, mobile phones, microwaves, wheelchairs in a chain reaction that ends up with boiling water tipping into a Pot Noodle tub. As rip-offs go, it's pure class. Not bad for a slaggy snack.
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
- < Previous
- Next >
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel you sales role is li...
£85000 - £100000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing - Slough, Berkshi...
£18 - 20k + Bonus: Guru Careers: An Administration Assistant / Office Assistan...