Special K advert banned over calorie count
Wednesday 04 July 2012
An advert for the breakfast cereal Special K has been banned after it was found to mislead women about the number of calories in a typical bowl.
Manufacturer Kellogg's was rapped by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) because the advert boasted that a bowl of Special K contained just 114 calories - but failed to account for those in the milk.
The advert featured women preparing breakfast while a voice-over said: "We women know how to get the most out of mornings", before a close-up of milk being poured over a bowl of Special K.
Text on screen explained that a bowl of the cereal included 114Kcal and 0.6g fat per 30g serving, but a complaint was made to the ASA because it failed to include the calories for the milk.
Kellogg's argued that not everyone ate cereal with milk, with many people preferring it dry or with yoghurt or orange juice, and said the different kinds of milk meant there would be different calorie levels.
But the ASA ruled the advert was misleading and that it should have made clear that the calorie count did not include milk.
The ASA ordered that the advert be banned and that Kellogg's clarifies whether or not calorie claims include milk in similar adverts.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
£60000 - £85000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Interim Head of Marketing / Marketin...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Software Application Support Analyst - Imm...
£25 - 30k: Guru Careers: A Digital Project Manager is needed to join an exciti...
£24 - 28k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Paid Search Analyst / PPC...