Turkey gets into a lather over 'disgusting' shampoo advert featuring Adolf Hitler
Wednesday 28 March 2012
A men's shampoo brand in Turkey has caused outrage by using Adolf Hitler to promote its product.
The ad for Biomen features black-and-white film of the Nazi leader gesticulating wildly as he makes a speech, with the voice-over: "If you're not wearing women's clothes, you shouldn't be using women's shampoo."
It has drawn international condemnation, with the Anti-Defamation League in New York issuing a statement saying it is "repulsed" by it.
"The use of images of the violently anti-Semitic dictator, who was responsible for the mass murder of six million Jews and millions of others in the Holocaust, to sell shampoo is disgusting," said Abraham Foxman, a Holocaust survivor and national director of the ADL.
Turkey's chief rabbi's office said on its website that "using Hitler... in a commercial in order to be different or create awareness [of a product] is unacceptable". Turkey is home to about 20,000 Jews, most of whose ancestors arrived in Istanbul during the Ottoman era after fleeing persecution in Europe.
Biota Laboratories, the Istanbul company that makes Biomen, agreed to pull the advert yesterday after initially refusing to drop it, according to the Hurriyet Daily News.
In Turkey, Hitler is generally viewed as a strong nationalist leader who united Germany and associations with the Holocaust are often secondary, one Jewish Turk said.
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
£8000 - £13000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have an interest in compu...
£18000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has bec...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: The Society for Expe...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...