BBC2 to broadcast live on internet
Friday 25 November 2005
Ricky Gervais' Extras, Newsnight and Top of the Pops will be among the first programmes to be broadcast live on broadband.
Roly Keating, who became controller of BBC2 in June last year, said that programmes will be "simulcast" from next year. "Whatever the broadband revolution means for audiences and channels in the future, we intend to be there, in the front line," Mr Keating said. "We will start at the website - upgrade that and move it into broadband. We want to have as full a service as possible."
A pilot will be unveiled next year along with further trials of MyBBCPlayer, allowing viewers to legally download BBC programmes.
A simulcast, letting viewers in the UK see programmes on the internet at the same time as they go out on television, is planned as part of the programme download trials.
Rape threats, death threats and a police investigation after video poking fun at an Islamic Party in Malaysia goes viral
Why Robin Williams safeguarded himself against a morbid trend in advertising
Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
Jeremy Clarkson to become 'special adviser on transport' to David Cameron
Exploding head syndrome: One-fifth of US college students suffer from ailment, study finds
- 1 Rape threats, death threats and a police investigation after video poking fun at an Islamic Party in Malaysia goes viral
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 6-year-old writes ice cold Valentine's card to his stepmother
- 5 Syrian child photographed 'surrendering to camera because she thought it was a gun'
£20000 - £25000 per annum + commission: SThree: Real Staffing's Pharmaceutical...
£38000 - £40000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: A leading consu...
£12 - £15 Hourly Rate: Sheridan Maine: Are you an experienced Accounts Assista...
£21,000 - £24,000 Annual: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a new opportunit...