BBC2 to broadcast live on internet
Friday 25 November 2005
Ricky Gervais' Extras, Newsnight and Top of the Pops will be among the first programmes to be broadcast live on broadband.
Roly Keating, who became controller of BBC2 in June last year, said that programmes will be "simulcast" from next year. "Whatever the broadband revolution means for audiences and channels in the future, we intend to be there, in the front line," Mr Keating said. "We will start at the website - upgrade that and move it into broadband. We want to have as full a service as possible."
A pilot will be unveiled next year along with further trials of MyBBCPlayer, allowing viewers to legally download BBC programmes.
A simulcast, letting viewers in the UK see programmes on the internet at the same time as they go out on television, is planned as part of the programme download trials.
Culinary experts in The Netherlands thought it was 'fresh' and 'tasty'
Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
Kim Jong-un 'purge': Six North Korea officials missing for weeks 'may have been executed'
Diwali: What is the festival of lights – and how is it celebrated around the world?
Nathan Cirillo: Final pictures emerge of soldier moments before he was shot dead by Ottowa gunman
Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 1 Marijuana use by teenagers does not result in a lower IQ or worse exam results, study finds
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel like your sales role...
competitive + bonus + benefits: Sauce Recruitment: A global entertainment busi...
£80000 - £90000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: Working for an International Mul...
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...