Tuesday 10 June 1997
Sun Microsystems suffered a major setback last week in its attempt to have its Java programming language established as a standard through the International Standards Organisation (ISO). Sun's application to become a submitter of a Publicly Available Specification was voted down by the US representative in the process. There are 22 countries voting in all, but the "no" vote from the US will obviously carry some weight with the other countries that have yet to vote. The whole voting process will be complete by the end of next month. Sun declined to comment until all the votes are in.
New IBM mainframes
IBM was scheduled to roll out a fourth generation of its System 390 CMOS mainframes yesterday. Big Blue states that G4 - not to be confused with the future generation of PowerPC chips with the same name - are the fastest and cheapest of their kind yet. The third generation of CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) processors, launched last October, delivered almost double the performance of the second generation. However, the fourth generation is expected to bring only a 30 per cent improvement on the third generation.
Ryan Gosling granted temporary restraining order against a woman 'convinced she was his twin flame'
Jennifer Lawrence sings in new The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 1 clip on YouTube
Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
£8000 - £13000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have an interest in compu...
£18000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has bec...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: The Society for Expe...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Age Concern Slough a...