'Colossus' of journalism dies on family holiday
Tuesday 10 September 2002
Arnold Kemp, one of the best known figures in Scottish and British journalism, died yesterday, aged 63.
Mr Kemp, who worked for The Glasgow Herald, The Scotsman, The Guardian and The Observer, suffered a heart attack while on holiday with his family in Ireland.
Son of the playwright Robert Kemp, he was born in Edinburgh and went to The Edinburgh Academy and the University of Edinburgh.
He edited the Herald for 13 years until 1987 and was credited with transforming it from a provincial newspaper into one renowned for high-quality national and international coverage.
Kevin McKenna, deputy editor of the Herald, described him as a "colossus" of Scottish journalism.
He said: "When he was at the Herald he made it the paper that young journalists aspired to work on. You would struggle to find another editor in the country who had the same sort of charisma."
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
Sir Paul McCartney makes his stance on Scottish independence known
PM sets out tough new anti-terror measures in response to heightened threat
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 It's not just the savagery of Isis that is shocking – its weaponry is too
- < Previous
- Next >
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel you sales role is li...
£85000 - £100000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing - Slough, Berkshi...
£18 - 20k + Bonus: Guru Careers: An Administration Assistant / Office Assistan...