The January 12 earthquake in Haiti is reported to be the biggest natural disaster suffered by the country in 200 years. Haiti and terms related to its earthquake are subsequently the search topics showing the most growth on Google Insights on the morning of January 18.
The search terms "Haiti Wikipedia," "Haiti earthquake" and "Haiti" have all experienced a change in growth greater than 5000 percent over the last seven days.
The internet has been a powerful tool for aid organizations raising funds for Haiti. The Red Cross and other organizations have run internet-wide campaigns to spread awareness and to encourage people from all walks of life to give generously to those who desperately need food, water and help to rebuild their homes.
Searches for Haiti have skyrocketed in response.
In Brazil internet users are tapping in the keyword "bbb10" (Big Brother Brazil 10), hoping to find out more information about the housemates living in the Big Brother compound.
The search terms with the most significant growth worldwide in the last seven days as measured by Google Insights, recorded on January 18 at 9:30 AM GMT are:
1. haiti wikipedia (Breakout)
2. haiti earthquake (Breakout)
3. haiti (Breakout)
4. bbb10 (+300%) (Big Brother Brazil 10)
5. seniat (+160%) (the agency responsible for collecting taxes in Venezuela)
6. sasha grey (+110%)
7. eokul (+90%) (e-learning in Turkish)
8. e-okul (+90%) (e-learning in Turkish)
9. e okul (+80%) (e-learning in Turkish)
10. dolar paralelo (+70%) (parallel dollar, related to Venezuelan currency concerns)
*Breakout defines a search term that has experienced a change in growth greater than 5000 percent.Reuse content