"Fish hook" (Department of Health)
Tuesday 29 April 2008
ASA verdict: Upheld
What the ASA said:
This hard hitting multi-media campaign from the Department of Health was designed to confront smokers with the controlling nature of their addiction to encourage them to stop smoking. The ads encouraged smokers to ‘get unhooked’, but complaints generated by the emotive images used in the TV, national press, poster and internet ads were that they were offensive, frightening and distressing. The poster ads in particular generated the most complaints with objections that they could frighten and distress children.
We felt that the ads were unlikely to cause serious offence or distress to adult viewers. However, despite the TV ads being given an ex-kids restriction, we felt that two of the TV ads were likely to frighten and distress older children and we upheld complaints on this basis. Similarly, the posters had appeared in places where they could easily be seen by children and complaints were upheld in this media also.
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
- < Previous
- Next >
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel you sales role is li...
£85000 - £100000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing - Slough, Berkshi...
£18 - 20k + Bonus: Guru Careers: An Administration Assistant / Office Assistan...