Heart 'overtakes Capital in London'
Thursday 16 October 2003
Capital Radio suffered a major setback yesterday after a controversial audience study judged that its flagship London station had lost its market lead.
The electronic system for measuring radio audiences, compiled by research firm GfK, showed that Capital 95.8 FM had fallen behind rival Heart FM.
The study said 95.8 FM's total listening hours were less than half the last official figure, at 7.4 million hours a week or 17.0 per cent share.
Heart 106.2 recorded 7.7 million hours, 17.6 per cent of the market, for the six months to 14 September. However, Capital 95.8 was still ahead in the total number of weekly listeners.
Rajar, the official audience measuring organisation, uses a "diary" system. It has not reported results for the last three months of this period. Its second quarter figures gave 95.8 FM listening hours of 19.0 million, well ahead of Heart at 14.3 million hours. Capital said it relied on the Rajar figures.
Speech stations fare better under the GfK survey, which is funded by Wireless Group, the company behind radio station talkSPORT.
Kelvin MacKenzie, chief executive of Wireless, hit out at Rajar after it said it would not carry out new trials on electronic methods until the second half of 2004.
"This is a snow job... yet another example of Rajar finding any excuse to delay the inevitable," he said.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
£25 - 30k (DOE) + Bonus & Benefits: Guru Careers: We are looking for an Accoun...
£25k Basic (DOE) – (£30k year 1 OTE) : Guru Careers: We are seeking a bright A...
£15-20k (DOE) + Benefits / Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking a bright R...
£25 - 40k (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Web Desig...