'Independent' titles win coveted media awards
Thursday 24 October 2002
The Independent on Sunday scooped two prestigious awards at the British Environment and Media awards in London last night.
The newspaper won Newspaper of the Year award and was commended for its commitment to environmental issues, its investigative approach and increasing interest in environmental issues among young audiences.
Geoffrey Lean, the newspaper's environment editor, was named environmental journalist of the year. Judges said he had been vindicated for his opinions on foot-and-mouth. He was also commended for the newspaper's asthma campaign, articles on whales, and pollution in Antarctica.
Mr Lean was commended for "cleverly linking issues on the environment to issues of topical concern", they said.
At the Media Week awards last night, The Independent won Tactical Sales Pitch of the Year for a 48-hours magazine produced for teletext holidays, which was awarded to Claudette Lewis of the newspaper's sales team. The Independent was the only national newspaper to pick up an award at the ceremony.
Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 5 New Tricks: Dennis Waterman to leave the show after a decade of crime-solving
£60000 - £85000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Interim Head of Marketing / Marketin...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Software Application Support Analyst - Imm...
£25 - 30k: Guru Careers: A Digital Project Manager is needed to join an exciti...
£24 - 28k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Paid Search Analyst / PPC...