'Independent' writer wins Orwell award
Friday 25 April 2008
The Independent columnist and reporter Johann Hari has won the Orwell Prize for political writing, the award's judges announced last night. The prize, inaugurated in 1993 and given annually to a journalist and to an author, aims to reward those who have come closest to achieving George Orwell's aim of making "political writing into an art". The judges called his work, "elegant and effective political analysis".
The book prize went to the Palestinian human rights activist Raja Shehadeh.
America’s new apartheid: Prosperous white districts are choosing to break away from black cities and go it alone
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
- < Previous
- Next >
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Software Application Support Analyst - Imm...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum + 25 days holiday and bonus: Clearwater People Solut...
£15,000 - £20,000: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join...
£20,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join...