Last week was ...
Monday 30 June 1997
a Bad Week for ties, as the Board of Aldermen of South Padre Island in the Gulf of Mexico passed a resolution making it illegal to wear them. The announcement stated: "The very appearance of a tie causes a discordant note for our visitors, sometimes causing serious regression back to their humdrum and ordinary business lives." The mayor's own tie was cut off after the proclamation was ratified.
a Perilous Week for a cat, in East Corinth, Maine, which was trapped in thunderstorms for three days on a utility pole, then struck by a 7,500 volt power line. The cat plummeted to the ground in flames, where it was found, meowing loudly but apparently uninjured apart from a singed tail, by emergency crews. The cat has now been adopted by a firefighter and named "Sparky".
RideLondon 2015: Cyclist dies while climbing highest hill in Surrey during sportive
Katie Hopkins reveals fear she will die during brain surgery to cure epilepsy
Tensions flare as Confederate flag supporter reaches for gun when confronted by protests – in pictures
'Gene drive': Scientists sound alarm over supercharged GM organisms which could spread in the wild and cause environmental disasters
Tom Cruise: Reporters banned from asking actor about Scientology
- 1 Video shows how to turn your phone into a 3D hologram
- 2 Artist Jamie McCartney: How The Great Wall of Vagina is a stand against 'body fascism'
- 3 Katie Hopkins reveals fear she will die during brain surgery to cure epilepsy
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Michael B Jordan and Kate Mara handle excruciatingly awkward and offensive interview questions like pros
£75 - 85k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Technical Director / Digital Director / ...
Circa £26,500 DOE: Guru Careers: An International Project Coordinator / Accoun...
£40000 - £47000 per annum + bonus + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing ...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + up to £22K + commission : Sauce Recruitment: The ...