Livingstone wants Tube opened up for Desmond paper
Thursday 13 January 2005
The Mayor of London has intervened to back Richard Desmond in his feud with the owners of the
Evening Standard over launching a new free newspaper for London.
The Mayor of London has intervened to back Richard Desmond in his feud with the owners of the Evening Standard over launching a new free newspaper for London.
Ken Livingstone said he would take action to ensure another paper can be distributed on the Tube in the afternoons. Under a deal signed six years ago, Mr Desmond's arch-rival, Associated Newspapers, owners of the Daily Mail and the Standard, have exclusive rights to the Tube.
Mr Desmond, proprietor of the Daily Express, Sunday Express and Daily Star, has lobbied ferociously to overturn Associated's monopoly for two years, saying he wanted to start a free afternoon paper but could not do so without access to the Tube. Associated used the Underground contract to launch Metro, a successful free morning paper for commuters.
Mr Desmond complained to the Office of Fair Trading in 2003 about the Metro contract and is awaiting its findings.
It is thought Mr Livingstone believes that the OFT has already decided to end the Metro's monopoly.
The mayor's Transport for London authority yesterday said that it would invite companies to bid for an afternoon contract, while the Metro would keep the morning slot.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Web Developer -...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Excellent benefits - see advert: Ashdown Group: .N...
£25 - 30K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an exceptional 3D Package Designer / 3...
£Competitive: Guru Careers: We are seeking a strong Middleweight / Senior Inte...