"Mastication for the nation" (Trident)
Tuesday 29 April 2008
ASA verdict - Upheld
What the ASA said:
Using humour based on accents in ads needs to be handled sensitively as it has the potential to cause serious offence, which is exactly what happened with this TV and cinema campaign for Trident chewing gum. Viewers complained that the ads were offensive and racist as they showed offensive stereotypes and ridiculed black or Caribbean people and their culture.
Whilst we considered that the ads did not incite racial intolerance or discrimination on the basis of race we noted the stereotype depicted in the ads had, unintentionally, caused deep offence to a significant minority of viewers and complaints were upheld.
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
£50000 per annum + 26 days holiday,pension: Ashdown Group: A highly successful...
£50000 per annum + 26 days, pension, private medical : Ashdown Group: A highly...
£25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Service Desk Analyst - Chessington, Surrey...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Charter Selection: This renowned and well establish...