Media : Harry's sleazy world: too horrible to be true?
Tuesday 07 March 1995
Franc Roddam, who created him, set out to expose the news business. "I wanted to show people that the news is a commodity which is bought and sold like anything else, and is suppressed and tampered with, so that we are fed drivel and lies. I wanted to let the public in on the secret." But it is an image that news agency journalists say "just isn't how we are" - it is too horrible to be true.
Last year, by contrast, the television drama Faith portrayed a tabloid journalist with a conscience (played by John Hannah) caught up in political intrigue. More fun than rewriting hand-outs?
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
- 1 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 2 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 4 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police
- < Previous
- Next >
£6.31 per day: Inspiring Interns: One of the biggest names in sport is offerin...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: This company is a division of th...
Up to £22K (OTE year 1 - £40,000): Seltek Consultants Ltd: Seltek is a leading...
£285 per day: PCR Recruitment Limited: This is a unique opportunity for an Ent...