Oliver riles Germans with joke on Holocaust
Saturday 23 August 2008
The television chef Jamie Oliver has angered German viewers by making a jocular remark about the Holocaust when objecting to complaints from Germany about how he gassed chicks on the Channel 4 programme Jamie's Fowl Dinners.
At the Edinburgh International Television Conference, Oliver was talking about the response to Fowl Dinners. "We had a lot of complaints about the gassing of chicks from the Germans," he said. "This has gone all round the world and the one country that had a problem with it... I thought f****** hell!"
Several Germans were in the audience and it was said to be noticeable that some responded with an uncomfortable silence.
One of the people at the lecture, the German writer Udo Seiwert-Fauti, said: "I wanted to stand up and say: 'Hey, after 65 years why do you need to bring that up?' I was shocked."
A spokesman for Oliver said the chef had not meant to cause offence and hoped Germans would forgive him.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for the murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: "Exciting Audit S...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: As part of an ongoing effort to support local...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Put your media, photography and arts flair in...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + excellent benefits: PCR Recruitment Limited: Europ...