The top ten: Trollemics
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 08 December 2013
A word created by merging troll and polemic by Stephen Tall, editor of 'Liberal Democrat Voice', who defined it as 'a deliberately over-the-top argument to generate controversy and make rational debate impossible'. Oddly, many of them seem to be published by one website…
1. Anything by Simon Jenkins. Nominated by Anthony Cox.
2. "It's no coincidence the MPs found guilty of fiddling are all Labour." Peter Oborne, Telegraph Blogs, 20 November
3. "From Alex Ferguson to Ed Miliband, Lefties always stab people in the back." Toby Young, Telegraph Blogs, 23 October
4. "America has every right to bug Angela Merkel's mobile phone. We need to keep an eye on the Germans." Con Coughlin, Telegraph Blogs, 24 October
5. "In defence of Russell Brand." Chris Dillow, Stumbling and Mumbling, 26 October.
6. "What's fuelling the food-bank frenzy? The hunger for publicity of anti-poverty activists." Brendan O'Neill, Telegraph Blogs, 18 October
7. "Does Jo Swinson hate women?" (Pregnant minister's aide said it was sexist to offer her a seat.) Christina Odone, Telegraph Blogs, 18 October
8. "The spirit of envy… is, like greed, a valuable spur to economic activity." Boris Johnson, in the annual Margaret Thatcher lecture, 27 November
9. "In Praise of the Ticket Tout." Editorial, The Independent, 23 June 1987
10. "Why the Tories are home and dry in 2015." John Rentoul, The Independent on Sunday, 27 October.
Next week: Words used with only one other word (serried, fledged and so on).
Coming soon: Palindromes. Was it a car or a cat I saw? Send suggestions (by 17 December), along with ideas for any future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
Eugene de Kock: Apartheid’s sadistic killer that his country cannot bring itself to forgive
Thatcher ‘was warned of Tory child sex party claims’
Lauren Goodger sex tape: TOWIE star calls for tougher laws on revenge porn after intimate video leaks online
Israel-Gaza conflict: President Obama presses Netanyahu to call ‘immediate and unconditional’ Gaza ceasefire
- 1 Secret Cinema: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Standing my ground: If sitting is bad for your health, what happens when you stay on your feet for a whole month?
£40000 - £45000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: This is an e...
£Neg. (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: Combining a passion for Softwa...
£Neg. (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: Lead Software Developer / Seni...
£Neg. (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: A Digital Designer / Web Desig...