Ian Burrell: The Conversation will grow louder
The Media Column
I thought The Conversation was a smart idea the first time I heard about it. It’s a news website written by academics on the latest research and discoveries.
A team of journalists – and some clever software – ensure the university professors come down from their ivory towers and write accessibly. It’s free and carries no advertising (funding comes from universities and charitable foundations who thinks this type of material needs a wider audience).
Having been launched in Australia by Andrew Jaspan, the former editor of The Observer, it set up in the UK last May, and has just introduced new sections covering arts and education. Its coverage of the latter saw it setting the news agenda last week, thanks to a piece attacking the Education Secretary, Michael Gove, by David Bell, vice-chancellor at the University of Reading (and former Permanent Secretary for the Department for Education). It was page one news.
Expect The Conversation to grow louder.
Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
Khorasan: Muhsin al-Fadhli - the man leading a terror group more feared by US officials than Isis
'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
Alicia Keys leaks own nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 1 Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
£30 - 50k: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Head of Marketing / PR Manager to jo...
£50 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Affiliate Marketing Manager / Affiliate Mana...
£25 - 30k (DOE) + Bonus & Benefits: Guru Careers: We are looking for an Accoun...
£25k Basic (DOE) – (£30k year 1 OTE) : Guru Careers: We are seeking a bright A...