Blaggers must be jailed, says Information Commissioner
Blaggers who obtain and sell private information such as medical records, bank statements and ex-directory telephone numbers should be jailed for up to two years, the Information Commissioner said.
Christopher Graham told The Independent: "This modern scourge is only going to be dealt with if the courts recognise it is a real crime." He said there was an urgent need to introduce tough punishments for blaggers, who currently receive average fines of £300 per offence for their "hugely profitable" practice.
Mr Graham said newspapers were a relatively small part of the market for private records, compared with other customers including debt collectors and claim management companies. "A lot of people involved in this business do not see it as a crime. They see it as akin to pinching the office stationery," he said. "If a custodial penalty was there, it would make life much easier."
Private detectives are alleged to bribe staff at banks, hospitals and phone companies to obtain confidential information.
VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: Are Tesco, Asda and other supermarkets open today?
Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
VMAs 2015: Kanye West runs for president, Nicki Minaj calls out Miley Cyrus and the list of winners in full
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 I like Corbyn, but let's face it: we don't need another white man at the head of a political party
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
COMPETITIVE + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: A Lead Systems Developer / Sof...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The world's leading financial services careers...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Digital Marketing Executive...
40-45K DOE + Benefits: Guru Careers: An Account Manager / Senior Account Manag...