Bob Ainsworth sues over pirate claim
Friday 07 January 2011
The former defence secretary Bob Ainsworth is suing the Daily Mail over the newspaper's claims that he "bungled" the case of Paul and Rachel Chandler, who were captured by Somali pirates.
The Labour MP for Coventry North East is suing the paper's publishers Associated Newspapers after it ran an article claiming he was personally responsible for missing two opportunities to rescue the Chandlers under the headline: "Bob the bungler blew TWO chances to save couple held by pirates."
A writ issued by Mr Ainsworth says the article amounted to an accusation of gross incompetence on his part.
Spain accused of 'provocation' after letting Russian submarine refuel off Gibraltar
Allonautilus scrobiculatus: World's 'rarest' creature spotted for only the third time ever
Miley Cyrus address Robin Thicke VMA controversy: ‘He wanted me as naked as possible, but I got the heat because I’m a woman’
Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 4 Jozef Wesołowski: Former Catholic archbishop found dead ahead of child sexual abuse trial
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
COMPETITIVE + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: A Lead Systems Developer / Sof...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The world's leading financial services careers...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Digital Marketing Executive...
40-45K DOE + Benefits: Guru Careers: An Account Manager / Senior Account Manag...