Bob Ainsworth sues over pirate claim
Friday 07 January 2011
The former defence secretary Bob Ainsworth is suing the Daily Mail over the newspaper's claims that he "bungled" the case of Paul and Rachel Chandler, who were captured by Somali pirates.
The Labour MP for Coventry North East is suing the paper's publishers Associated Newspapers after it ran an article claiming he was personally responsible for missing two opportunities to rescue the Chandlers under the headline: "Bob the bungler blew TWO chances to save couple held by pirates."
A writ issued by Mr Ainsworth says the article amounted to an accusation of gross incompetence on his part.
The City of the Monkey God: Archaeologists claim to have found city lost for 1,000 years in remote Honduran jungle
Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
London property boom built on dirty money
Becky Watts: Stepbrother and his girlfriend named locally as two arrested on suspicion of murder
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Ledger & Credit Control...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: Our client help leading creative agencies ...
£36,000 - £40,000: Christine McCleave: Are you looking for a new opportunity a...