Did you spot our hose hoax?
Sunday 08 April 2012
It was the hosepipe story that was too bad to be true. Our April Fool's Day report that police would be accepting hosepipes in stations as part of a nationwide amnesty had many people wondering.
The article said Kingston-on-Thames police were piloting the scheme, giving out "I've Piped Down" badges to anyone who gave up their hose. Press officers at Kingston Police station were surprised to get a call from BBC Radio London last Sunday asking whether anyone was available for an interview about it. "It took [the reporter] a while for the penny to drop that it was a spoof," a police spokeswoman said.
One outraged reader wrote to the paper saying: "So they want an amnesty on hose pipes, and for people to hand them in. This is another rich man's option – if we hand ours in we will have to buy a new one when the ban is over. Or will it never be over?"
Isis 'jihadi bride' claims forced sex with Yazidi girls is never rape because Koran condones it
Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 1 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 2 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£30 - 35k: Guru Careers: A Senior Account Manager / SAM is needed to join the ...
£55000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Digital Marketing Manager...