Haul of British Press Award nominations for The Independent
Friday 08 February 2013
The Independent’s journalism has been recognised with 11 nominations for this year’s British Press Awards, with sister titles i, The Independent on Sunday and the London Evening Standard also well represented on the shortlists.
Education Editor Richard Garner and Travel Editor Simon Calder were both nominated in the Specialist Journalist of the Year category.
Ian Herbert was shortlisted as Sports Journalist of the Year. The Independent’s Hillsborough coverage was listed for Front Page of the Year, where it will compete against The Independent on Sunday’s “Happy and Glorious” Olympics splash.
The investigative team behind The Independent’s Sex for Fees exposé – Charlotte Philby, Jonathan Brown, Cahal Milmo, Matthew Moore and Oliver Duff – which highlighted the sexual exploitation of female students, has been nominated for the Cudlipp Award, recognising excellence in popular journalism.
Dominic Lawson is nominated as Columnist of the Year, Grace Dent for Critic of the Year, Dave Brown for Cartoonist and Charlie Cooper for Young Journalist. The Independent Magazine is short-listed for Supplement of the Year. The design and production teams of both The Independent and i are shorlisted for their work.
The Independent on Sunday’s Jane Merrick is shortlisted for Political Journalist of the Year.
The Evening Standard received four nominations: Joshi Herrmann for Young Journalist; Nick Curtis for Interviewer; Newspaper of the Year; and Production and Design.
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.