Honours for Independent writers
Wednesday 21 March 2012
Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor of The Independent, and columnist Deborah Ross both won major prizes at the Press Awards last night.
Laurance won Specialist Reporter of the Year for his "brilliant and original" work in 2011, which included his revelation of soaring infant mortality rates at NHS trusts.
Collecting his award on stage Laurance thanked The Independent's managing editor Sean O'Grady for "threatening to break my legs if I didn't enter". Ross was awarded Interviewer of the Year in the broadsheet category, following a year in which her subjects included X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos and socialite Tamara Ecclestone.Ross said she was "really, really, really chuffed".
University of Cambridge: Remains of 1,300 scholars are found under building
April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
April Fools' Day 2015 live: The best pranks and fake stories from around the world
Turkey power cut: Prime Minister says nationwide blackout could be caused by terrorists
Jeremy Clarkson 'could be given minder' ahead of a potential Top Gear return
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 3 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£20000 - £25000 per annum + commission: SThree: Real Staffing's Pharmaceutical...
£38000 - £40000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: A leading consu...
£12 - £15 Hourly Rate: Sheridan Maine: Are you an experienced Accounts Assista...
£21,000 - £24,000 Annual: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a new opportunit...