Johnston turns five dailies into weeklies
Tuesday 17 April 2012
Five historic daily regional newspapers are to become weeklies as their owner Johnston Press moves to single online and printed paper newsrooms.
The titles in Halifax, Kettering, Northampton, Peterborough and Scarborough will cease daily publication on 25 April.
Johnston said the daily titles would be replaced with a "bumper print edition" once a week. So-called "platform neutral" newsrooms are being created to provide content online and for the printed papers. A spokesman said any job losses would be "in single figures".
The changes were announced by Ashley Highfield, who became chief executive of Johnston Press at the end of last year. He said: "Johnston's focus has always been local and we will increasingly benefit from that core expertise with the rapid growth in both social media and in demand for access from mobile devices."
Last week saw the departure of editors from two of Johnston's biggest daily papers, The Scotsman and Yorkshire Post.
Exclusive: World’s most pristine waters are polluted by US Navy human waste
Chicago River turns green to mark Saint Patrick's Day 2014
Saint Patrick's Day: Google Doodle marks patron saint of Ireland - here are 10 things you didn't know about the man
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Flight Centre Limited: Join one of the biggest trav...
£65k: Inspiring Interns: Our client is looking for an experienced and energeti...
£20000 - £23000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The world's leading mobile adver...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: This company is made up of award...