Milly Dowler message-deletion could have been automatic
Monday 12 December 2011
Messages on murdered teenager Milly Dowler's mobile phone may have been "automatically" removed, a judge chairing an inquiry into press standards was told today.
A lawyer representing the Metropolitan Police told Lord Justice Leveson that it was "unlikely" that a private investigator employed by the News of the World altered the phone's voicemail settings.
Lord Justice Leveson said he would consider how to "get to the bottom" of what had happened.
Neil Garnham QC, representing the Metropolitan Police, told the inquiry that the date Mrs Dowler believed messages were deleted was before Glenn Mulcaire had been involved in the case for the newspaper.
Mr Garnham said: "The visit by the Dowlers to the Bird's Eye building occurred on March 24 2002.
"Secondly, Mr Mulcaire was not tasked in relation to the Dowler's until some time after that date.
"Third and accordingly, it is unlikely that anything Mulcaire did was responsible for what Mrs Dowler heard when she called Milly's phone during that visit. It's not yet possible to provide a comprehensive explanation for the fact that on that occasion the automatic 'mailbox full' message was not heard."
Mr Garnham went on: "It is conceivable that other News International journalists deleted the voicemails, but the Metropolitan Police Service have no evidence to support that."
He said the "most likely explanation" was that messages were automatically removed after 72 hours, and added that the network provider had confirmed that this was "a standard automatic function of that voicemail box system at the time".
There were approximately 72 hours between Milly's disappearance and when Mrs Dowler called the voicemail.
Mr Garnham said: "I can say from Metropolitan Police Service records that the Metropolitan Police did not tell the Dowlers that voicemails had been deleted, for the simple reason that they did not know of any such deletions."
Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Isis 'A Message in Blood' video shows beheading of Kurdish man in Iraq
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
- < Previous
- Next >
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel you sales role is li...
£85000 - £100000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing - Slough, Berkshi...
£18 - 20k + Bonus: Guru Careers: An Administration Assistant / Office Assistan...