Police leaked stalker story, says singer
Wednesday 29 February 2012
Bryan Adams claimed that an article in The Sun reporting that he had been the victim of a stalker could only have come from a leak within the police, in evidence to the Leveson Inquiry yesterday.
The Canadian-born singer said that the story appeared in the tabloid just a few days after he reported he had been stalked for the past month by a woman and her son at his home in Chelsea, west London, in 2008. The pair had "hung around my house" and rang the doorbell "incessantly", Adams told the police. He ended up confronting the pair and calling 999.
In a written witness statement, Adams said that he had not told "anyone other than the police and my personal assistant" about the case. "Although I have no proof, and therefore it is of course speculation, I do not believe that there could be any other explanation than the fact that the source must have been someone related to my call to the police," he said. "I can see no public interest in this being reported. It was not even accurate – no panic alarm was installed at my house."
He said he and other "victims of crime" should be "entitled to confidentiality. I do not see why the fact that I am a well-known musician should justify anyone leaking this story. In my view it is no one else's business and could create the risk of copycat crime".
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel you sales role is li...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum + 25 days holiday and bonus: Clearwater People Solut...
Highly Competitive Salary + Commission: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL BASED - DEALING ...