Watchdog rules Clare Balding 'dyke' comment is offensive
Friday 17 September 2010
A complaint by the television presenter Clare Balding that a description of her in a newspaper column as a "dyke on a bike" was discriminatory has been upheld, the Press Complaints Commission said yesterday.
AA Gill used the term in a Sunday Times review of a television show, presented by Balding, called Britain by Bike.
The newspaper said Gill was well known for his acerbic sense of humour and argued that "dyke" was no longer offensive.
But the commission ruled the use of the word was a "pejorative synonym relating to the complainant's sexuality". It added that Gill was using it "to refer to the complainant's sexuality in a demeaning and gratuitous way" and that it was a breach of the Editors' Code of Practice.
East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
Germanwings plane crash: Investigators may have already found remains of suspected killer co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
Children take eight Isis captives to be beheaded in latest propaganda video
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 3 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
- 4 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
£23 - 30K (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a System Ad...
£18 - 24k OTE + Uncapped Commission: Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Executive ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Web Developer -...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Excellent benefits - see advert: Ashdown Group: .N...