Richard and Judy to launch their own book award
Oprah Winfrey's book club earned her millions of dollars and an entry in Fortune magazine's list of America's most powerful businesswomen. Now Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan are to take a leaf out of the talk-show hostess's book - by launching their own literary prize.
In a move that is likely to inspire wry chortles and outright disdain among "serious" book-lovers, the UK's king and queen of daytime television are to launch a search for the first Richard and Judy Best Read of the Year.
The new accolade, to be presented for the first time next spring, is being developed in collaboration with the British Book Awards.
It remains to be seen whether Richard and Judy's endorsement will enhance the status of the annual prize ceremony, nicknamed the "Nibbies". Its past decisions to honour the literary efforts of the likes of Pamela Stephenson and Sir Alex Ferguson have led to it being dismissed by many as a celebrity-obsessed, poor relation of more literary awards such as the Booker.
All the signs are that the husband-and-wife presenters intend to take an unusually hands-on approach to the award. They will pick their own shortlists of 10 books to be debated in a series of "Reading Club" slots on their show, and viewers will be asked to vote for a winner.
The prize itself will be presented at the Nibbies ceremony in April, before being announced to viewers, along with the winners of all the other awards, on the Channel 4 afternoon chat show two days later, on Good Friday.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel you sales role is li...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum + 25 days holiday and bonus: Clearwater People Solut...
Highly Competitive Salary + Commission: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL BASED - DEALING ...