The Onion launches BuzzFeed parody site Clickhole with '16 pictures of Beyonce not sinking in quicksand'
The resurgence of quizzes is also sent up
After more than 25 years parodying traditional news, The Onion has launched Clickhole, a site taking aim at clickbait sites like Upworthy and Viralnova and listicle purveyors BuzzFeed.
The partly affectionate, partly caustic satirical site opened with some truly spectacular articles including '16 Pictures Of Beyoncé Where She’s Not Sinking In Quicksand', '10 Hilarious Chairs That Think They’re People' and one about how Clive Owen "went there" and there's "no going back".
There are a bunch of 'viral videos' too, including 'This Video Seems Silly, But It Makes A Good Point' (below) which consists of 30 seconds of a dinosaur walking in front of a multicolour backdrop with the words 'RACISM IS BAD' and 'NELSON MANDELA WAS A GOOD PERSON' laid over the top.
The challenge for ClickHole now is to avoid being as disposable as the content it is parodying, but with genuine articles like 'You Love These 18 Celebrities, But Here’s Something You Didn’t Know About Them. It’s Awesome.' still being published on a regular basis, there will be no shortage of victims for it to feed on.
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: What you shouldn't tweet about if you want to avoid jail today
- 3 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 4 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 5 Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£60000 - £85000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Interim Head of Marketing / Marketin...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Software Application Support Analyst - Imm...
£25 - 30k: Guru Careers: A Digital Project Manager is needed to join an exciti...
£24 - 28k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Paid Search Analyst / PPC...