BBC boss: 'Today' needs more female presenters
The new BBC director general, George Entwistle, has tried to dispel claims of sexual discrimination by saying he hopes the next presenter of Today on Radio 4 would be a woman.
He made the comments yesterday, hours after being questioned on the programme by its veteran interviewer John Humphyrs, 69, who had challenged him over the lack of "grey haired" female presenters at the BBC.
After admitting that the BBC "has to be better in this regard", Mr Entwistle told a press conference he was looking forward to seeing a change in the presenting line-up on Today. "I hope that when the moment comes for the next presenter to be chosen [that] it's a woman," he said.
Only Sarah Montague out of Today's five presenters is a woman. The last two to join were Justin Webb in 2009 and Evan Davis in 2008.
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
Oscar Pistorius trial: Paralympian throws up again after graphic photograph of Reeva Steenkamp's body is shown in court
Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Officials reject US claims jet 'could have 'flown for four hours' after last-known contact
Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic analyst says athlete 'was on his stumps' when he smashed locked toilet door with a bat
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Rachel Canning: US teenager returns home after she tried to sue her parents for child support
- 3 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 4 Rampaging elephant smashes up house but then 'saves crying baby trapped under debris'
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: This company is made up of award...
Lunch and travel expenses: Inspiring Interns: Tearing up the world of graduate...
£45,000+ benefits: Freshtechit: Digital Project Manager London (Greater) / Ric...
£45k + benefits: Freshtechit: Coldfusion London (South), London (Greater)