BBC commercial profits fall in 'challenging conditions'
The collapse of Woolworths and the impact of the recession on foreign travel contributed to a £32 million drop in profits for the BBC's commercial arm today.
BBC Worldwide accounts show operating profits - after exceptional items - were down to £85.7 million for 08/09, compared to the previous year's £117.7 million.
However, underlying profit grew in line with increased turnover to £150 million, the accounts published today show.
Overall sales also passed the £1 billion level for the first time, which chief executive John Smith called "a very significant moment in the life of BBC Worldwide".
"All the more so as the growth in sales has been achieved in trading conditions more challenging than any of us can remember," he added.
Scottish independence: Despite defeat history may still point to Alex Salmond as the victor
Scottish independence referendum: Frankie Boyle reacts to nation's 'No' vote - 'To be fair, I've always hated Scotland'
Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
Scottish referendum: Police struggle to control Unionist rally in Glasgow's George Square
Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
£60000 - £85000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Interim Head of Marketing / Marketin...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Software Application Support Analyst - Imm...
£25 - 30k: Guru Careers: A Digital Project Manager is needed to join an exciti...
£24 - 28k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Paid Search Analyst / PPC...